An update on the Hippogryph Codex, and another major print-on-demand update. This is the Reality Check, the Dancing Lights Press weekly newsletter for 24 October 2020.
With the usual caveat that I am one person and could be unexpectedly run over by a truck, the Hippogryph Codex will be out next week. I think it was Wolfgang Baur who once said that a late book is only late once, but a bad book is bad forever. I wanted to make one more editing pass before I sent it off to the printers. This is possibly the best thing I’ve ever created. Even keeping with the ethos of the Black Box Movement, I want you to have the best possible experience with this system.
This past week I posted several excerpts from the book. I’ll continue to do so until it’s released. If you want to see what the system is about and how it works, have a read!
- The Eagle and the Horse
- How to Create Characters
- Using Elements in Play
- System Summary and Core Mechanic
- Types of Actions
Print on Demand Update
I’m still awaiting delivery of proofs (“test copies” from the printer) for the following titles:
- DoubleZero Core Book (hardcover) – shipped, awaiting delivery
- DoubleZero Core Book (softcover) – shipped, awaiting delivery
- Building Theme (softcover) – shipped, awaiting delivery
- Building Adventures (softcover) – shipped, awaiting delivery
- Adventure Generator 1 (softcover) – shipped, awaiting delivery
- Adventure Generator 2 (softcover) – shipped, awaiting delivery
- Building Monsters (softcover) -shipped, awaiting delivery
- Hippogryph Zine Issue Four (softcover) – approved by printer, waiting to ship
- Hippogryph Zine Issue Five (softcover) – approved by printer, waiting to ship
- Hippogryph Zine Issue Six (softcover) – approved by printer, waiting to ship
- Hippogryph Zine Issue Seven (softcover) – approved by printer, waiting to ship
- Hippogryph Codex (hardcover) – awaiting printer approval
- Hippogryph Codex (softcover) – awaiting printer approval
As soon as I receive and review the proofs for each title, assuming everything is correct, they will become available as print-on-demand. If you have purchased a PDF version through DriveThruRPG, and have opted in to receive email from Dancing Lights Press, you will receive a coupon code for the PDF price off of your POD order. There will also be updates in all of the usual places as the print option for each title becomes available.
Recent News and Updates
This week there were several posts where I answered questions from fans and readers.
- Tabletop Roleplaying as Creative Outlet
- Is the Lack of Art a Disadvantage?
- How Do You Promote Your Games?
- Is There Money in Self-Publishing?
Reality Check: 24 October 2020
This weekly update is called the Reality Check because it’s designed to hold me accountable. I want to clearly communicate what’s going on with Dancing Lights Press products in development. My goal is to set realistic expectations for new releases, and give you a glimpse inside the process of lo-fi publishing.
I want to thank you for your continued support. If you’ve loved something I’ve published, please consider taking a moment to give it a five-star rating and a favorable review at DriveThruRPG. It’s a small thing that has a lot of impact.
About Dancing Lights Press
Dancing Lights Press is a lo-fi publisher of tabletop roleplaying systems and system-agnostic creative aids, including the best selling Building series, the DoubleZero action thriller system, and Hippogryph, a fantasy story game system with traditional roots. Our products embrace a minimalist aesthetic in design and presentation because roleplaying is an activity, not a collection of expensive rulebooks.
- We currently have over 150 bestselling titles at DriveThruRPG!
- Major product lines are available as bundles for 20% off!
- Our most popular titles are system agnostic and work with any system or setting!