My first experience with tabletop a roleplaying games was as the gamemaster. It was 1979, and my friends and I had pooled our money to buy the Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set. None of us had ever played before. There was no one else to run for us, or teach us how things were supposed to work. I read the rules and made up some characters, but I had no idea what I was supposed to do. After picking some monsters that looked cool to fight, and drawing a rudimentary map, I made it up as I went along. It was a lot of fun, but it took a while before I felt like I knew what I was doing.
If I’d had a book to show me what to do, I wouldn’t have spent so much time figuring things out on my own. I could have been sharpening other skills, rather than sorting out what the fundamentals were. That’s why I wrote How to Gamemaster. It’s my attempt to create the how-to manual I wish I’d had over 40 years ago.
How to Gamemaster includes the following chapters:
- An overview of the gamemaster’s role, with an explanation of the many jobs you will take on.
- What materials, both required and optional, you’ll need in order to run a game.
- A guide to identifying different types of players and what they’re looking to get from a game.
- How to prepare for adventures, game sessions, and campaigns.
- What Session Zero is, why it’s important, and how to successful run one for your group.
- Advice on how to run a game session from start to finish, based on decades of experience.
- How to let yourself be human, dealing with inevitable mistakes, and managing player issues.
- Tips on teaching new players about roleplaying, the setting, and the mechanics of the game.
- A glossary of commonly used tabletop roleplaying terms.
How to Gamemaster
Publisher: Dancing Lights Press
Copper Best Seller
Rule System: Any system / system agnostic
Price: $5 Digital
Publication Date: 4 March 2021
Format: 96 pages. A5 format (bullet journal size). PDF, ePub, Kindle.
Available Now at DriveThruRPG
#HowToGamemaster #GMsDay #MarchForth
Copyright 2021 Berin Kinsman. All rights reserved.