This is the weekly Dancing Lights Press Newsletter for 17 March 2019. This will be published every Sunday around 1pm EST. It will be simultaneously sent to subscribers and posted on the website.
New This Week
Worldbuilding Power: Forests – In the real world forests are the dominant ecosystem, covering around 30% of the Earth’s landmass. They hold most of the species of plant life, and can exist across a broad range of climates and habitats. There are boreal forests, or “snow forests”, near the poles comprised mainly of conifers like pine and spruce trues. Tropical forests, also known as broadleaf forests, exist near the equator where it’s hot and humid. At mid-latitudes, temperate forests contain a mixture of conifers, broadleaf, and deciduous trees. Knowing this, its easy to see why forests are so prominent and iconic in many works of fantasy.
In this book, we’ll show you how to utilize forests in your worldbuilding endeavors. You’ll see how it can influence character, setting, and story elements. By the end, you’ll understand how to better utilize wooded realms as essential, useful, and entertaining parts of your campaign.
This book is system-agnostic, usable with the fantasy game of your choice. Most of the information, however, is geared toward the familiar tropes and terminology found in “classic” or “legacy” fantasy roleplaying. In the final section we’ll look at how constructs might affect the mechanics of the Lighthouse System, the universal story game system published by Dancing Lights Press.
On the Blog
Because of illness, we’re a bit behind schedule. Focus is on new releases, and getting caught up before the end of April. Blogging will resume soon, but will likely be intermittent until May. Thanks for your patience.
Coming Up Next
All dates are tentative and subject to change. The Untitled Foragers Guild Playset remains untitled pending some legal clearances.
- Worldbuilding Power: Constructs – March 22.
- Untitled Foragers Guild Playset – March 29.
- Worldbuilding Power: Alteration – April 5
Thanks and Gratitude
Thanks to everyone who has shared the newsletter and the blog posts. We appreciate the comments. This is going to be a challenging year as we continue to learn and grown, and your support means everything. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
How You Can Help
- Share – Let other people know what we’re up to! Pass it along on social media, on your own blog, vlog, or podcast, through email, whatever works for you!
- Subscribe – On the sidebar (if you’re on a computer) or at the bottom of the page (on a tablet or phone) you can get sign up to be notified when new posts go up!
- Buy a Book – We’ve got tons of bestselling titles for tabletop roleplayers and creating writers available. If that’s your thing, tell someone who might enjoy it!
- Give Us Feedback – Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!