The Lighthouse System: A Simple, Universal Storygame System.
- Roll a d20 and add modifiers.
- If the result is high (11+) you succeed.
- If the result in low (10 or less) you fail.
- When the result is even, you narrate the outcome.
- When the result is odd, the guide narrates the outcome.
- When you declare your action, you bid a die.
- The size of the die dictates the desired outcome.
- d4 is minimal outcome, d12 is maximum.
- Risk die are tokens, you don’t roll them.
- Interpret degree of success or failure based on risk.
- If you fail, you temporarily lose that die.
- Successful actions against a target create complications.
- These can be injuries, based on risk die bid.
- Injuries create penalties: d4 = -1, d6 = -2, etc.
- Complications can be obstacles or problems.
- If you fail an action, you can take on a complication.
- Duration is based on risk die size, but can be cleared in-story.
- The Lighthouse System is easy for new players to learn.
- Experienced players can explore risk and shared narration.
- Shared narration allows for more overall participation.
- Players can narrate the guide’s successes and failures.
- Players can narrate their own successes and failures.
- Character profiles are descriptive.
- Think GIJoe cards, fictional world encyclopedias, Wikipedia.
- Be as detailed or a minimal as you like.
- If a profile implies they should be able to do something, they can.
- Profiles can be updated during play to reflect what they’ve done.
- No character death unless the player agrees to it.
Lighthouse System Facts
- It got its name because it’s “rules lite” and our house system.
- Yes, seriously.
- The core book is 96 pages and only $10 USD.
- We make other games using the Lighthouse System.
- They contain setting material and ready-to-play characters.
- You don’t need the core book to play our other games.
- Those games are also 96 pages and only $10 USD.
Give It a Try
- You can buy our stuff at DriveThruRPG.
- It’s all in PDF, Kindle, and epub.
- The only way to do it wrong is to not have fun.