Here are this week’s Hottest titles and bundles for the week ending 30 May 2021. Visit the Dancing Lights Press page at DriveThruRPG to see our full catalog of tabletop roleplaying products, including the latest releases and bundle deals!
Hottest Titles: 30 May 2021
- Early Middle Ages Volume 1
- Medieval Origins Volume 1
- A History of Witchcraft, Volume 1
- Medieval Origins Volume 2
- Medieval Origins Volume 3
- Murder & Mutiny, Volume 1
- A History of Witchcraft, Volume 4
- Early Middle Ages Volume 2
- A History of Witchcraft, Volume 2
- A History of Witchcraft, Volume 3
- A Pirate Who’s Who [BUNDLE]
- Building Series [BUNDLE]
- DoubleZero Essentials [BUNDLE]
- Every Dollar Title [BUNDLE]
- Gamemaster Tools [BUNDLE]
- Hippogryph Essentials [BUNDLE]
- History of Witchcraft [BUNDLE]
- Medieval Reference [BUNDLE]
Medieval Saints is a system-agnostic sourcebook in 3 volumes for any historical, or fantasy game. It presents a look at what life was like for monks, how the monastic system operated, and the influence that monks and clergy who later became venerated as saints had over religious practice, culture, and political policies throughout the Middle Ages.
While it has become less prevalent over time, medievalism was a heavy component of early tabletop roleplaying games. You could drag in elements of Moorcock’s Melnibone, Lieber’s Lankhmar, Tolkien’s Middle Earth, Asian and Middle Eastern cultures, anything you wanted, but they’d all end up assimilated and patched over the default, baseline setting of some fictional Medieval Europe. There has been justifiable criticism of this in the decades since, but it can’t be denied that the Middle Ages were a powerful influence on D&D and nearly all tabletop fantasy for a long time.
In presenting the Medieval Reference series, my goal is to get people to look beyond official gaming material for inspiration. There is a wealth of ideas to be found in history, biographies, and older fiction from before the tabletop roleplaying game era that is waiting to be tapped. My hope is that this book with fire up your imagination, and help you to discover new possibilities.
Here are the upcoming releases from Dancing Lights Press. The following titles are complete and scheduled for release. Specific dates and product names are subject to change because the world is a messy and unpredictable place.
- 3 June: Demonology & Witchcraft (Witchcraft Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- 10 June: Medieval Society (Medieval Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- 17 June: Notorious Pirates (Pirate Reference Series, system-agnostic)
The follow projects are being actively worked on, and are close enough to completion that I feel comfortable putting tentative release targets on them. The large variable is how smoothly the move to new studio space goes.
- Campaign Journaling: A revised and greatly expanded edition of Bullet Journaling for Gamemasters. Still system-agnostic, but not wholly dependent on the bullet journal method, with tons of ideas and examples for using a journal to track campaigns, worldbuilding, game sessions, and group information.
- Character Journaling: This is essentially Bullet Journaling for Players, with ideas on using a journal in addition to, or even instead of, a traditional character sheet. I am aiming for an early July release.
- DoubleZero Releases: There will be an announcement soon about upcoming releases for the DoubleZero System. I’m waiting until after we’re settled into the new studio space, so I can provide a more accurate timeline.
- Hippogryph Releases: There will be an announcement soon about upcoming releases for the Hippogryph System. As with DoubleZero, I’m waiting until we’re settled into the new studio space, so I can provide a more accurate timeline.
The Week’s Hottest: 30 May 2021
Dancing Lights Press is a lo-fi publishing studio founded and operated by Berin Kinsman. One of the earliest RPG bloggers, Berin has been playing tabletop roleplaying games since 1979 and writing for the industry since 1992. Since founding the company in 2016, he has published over 100 bestselling titles. You can find Dancing Lights Press online at DancingLightsPress.com, and on Twitter as @LightsPress.