18 June 2021: Here are the new and upcoming releases from Dancing Lights Press. The following titles are complete and scheduled for release. Specific dates and product names are subject to change because the world is a messy and unpredictable place.
We Are Moving
Dancing Lights Press is moving to new studio space! We’re going to a whole new country! This is going to allow us to grow and become the sort of publisher we want to be. As we pack up, physically move, and get set up again in our new location, we will undoubtedly be slow to respond to your messages. I want to thank you in advance for your understanding.
Notorious Pirates is a system-agnostic sourcebook for any historical or fantasy game. As author Claud Lovat Fraser explains in his preface, it is based on earlier works spanning back to the early 1700s. Even he admits that this is far from a comprehensive collection, being as it is limited to the standard collection of Western pirates, and not covering the vast array of captains and their crews sailing the coasts of Asia and Africa. He does, however, strive to make the best of this limitation, by emphasizing quality of narrative over the quantity of subjects mentioned.
In presenting the Pirate Reference series, my goal is to get people to look beyond official gaming material for inspiration. There is a wealth of ideas to be found in history, biographies, and older fiction from before the tabletop roleplaying game era that is waiting to be tapped. My hope is that this book with fire up your imagination, and help you to discover new possibilities.
- Medieval Society (Medieval Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- Demonology & Witchcraft (Witchcraft Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- Medieval Saints (Medieval Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- Murder & Mutiny (Pirate Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- Medieval Origins (Medieval Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- Early Middle Ages (Medieval Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- Discovery of Witches (Witchcraft Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- A History of Witchcraft (Witchcraft Reference Series, system-agnostic)
- A Pirate’s Who’s Who (Pirate Reference Series, system-agnostic)
In the Pipeline
The follow projects are being actively worked on, and are close enough to completion that I feel comfortable putting tentative release targets on them. The large variable is how smoothly the move to new studio space goes.
- Campaign Journaling: A revised and greatly expanded edition of Bullet Journaling for Gamemasters.
- Character Journaling: This is essentially Bullet Journaling for Players.
- DoubleZero Releases: There will be an announcement soon about upcoming releases for the DoubleZero System.
- Hippogryph Releases: There will be an announcement soon about upcoming releases for the Hippogryph System.
Ideas and Intentions
These are things that I want to do, but won’t have the time to even think about in more detail until after the move. I will likely talk about them more in the upcoming newsletter.
- Hardcovers for all major / bestselling titles
- Merch (t-shirts at the very least)
- Revisions to all Building Series titles (not a 3rd edition, just errata)
- Settings for both DoubleZero and Hippogryph
- Pastel, a roleplaying system with no combat mechanics
DriveThruRPG will be increasing print-on-demand costs as of 1 July 2021. This increase will not affect any current Dancing Lights Press print offerings. As of this writing, it does not look as if it will affect the price points of titles we will be offering as print-on-demand in the future, either.
We are in the process of moving. Until we are settled into our new studio, we will not be ordering any proofs from the printer for review. With the delays in both printing and mail delivery, I don’t want to risk packages arriving at the old address after we’ve moved out, or being stolen or returned from the new address because no one’s there yet.
The weekly newsletter relaunches in July. This is completely separate from the one you may be receiving through DriveThruRPG, and will feature news and updates that we can’t provide through that venue. You can learn more information and subscribe now on our Newsletter page.